08 June 2011

Don't Quote Me on This ...

I haven't posted in ages; just another dry patch in my writing life, I guess.  I have been busy, though, if that's any excuse.  Work is done for the school year (yay!) but I am working a few hours a week doing some cataloging at Citrus College Library.  I've also been busy doing some long overdue spring cleaning in anticipation of my sister S's visit in a couple of weeks.  Today I sorted through a vast quantity of books and sold a few online to Powell's, with the rest going straight to the Goodwill donation center before I could change my mind!

While sorting and dusting and sneezing, I discovered my commonplace book: a small journal in which I have written quotes that spoke to me.  Since I can't think of anything exciting to write about, I'll share some of my favorite quotes on a variety of subjects:

NATURE
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.  Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.  The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. -- John Muir

I go to Nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in tune once more. -- John Burroughs

The world we are told was made especially for man, a presumption not supported by all the facts. -- John Muir

Extinction is not something to contemplate; it is something to rebel against. -- Jonathan Schell

There are some who can live without wild things, and some who cannot. -- Aldo Leopold

WOMEN/MEN
A woman, especially if she has the misfortune of knowing anything, should conceal it as well as she can. -- Jane Austen

Men build bridges and throw railroads across deserts, and yet they contend successfully that the job of sewing on a button is beyond them. -- Heywood Brown

Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good.  Luckily, this is not difficult. -- Charlotte Whitton

CATS
There is nothing so lowering to one's self-esteem as the affectionate contempt of a beloved cat. -- Monica Edwards

It is a very inconvenient habit of kittens (Alice had once made the remark) that whatever you say to them, they always purr. -- Lewis Carroll

BOOKS
Just the knowledge that a good book is waiting one at the end of a long day makes that day happier. -- Kathleen Norris

Five years from now you will be pretty much the same as you are today except for two things: the books you read and the people you get close to. -- Charles Jones

A room without books is like a body without a soul. -- Cicero

Men may come and men may go, but books go on forever. -- Henry E. Huntington

Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore? -- Henry Ward Beecher

HORSES
Far back, far back in our dark soul the horse prances. -- D. H. Lawrence

A lovely horse is always an experience ... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. -- Beryl Markham

I think the smell of horses is the most exciting smell in the world. -- Zilpha Keatley Snyder

FRIENDSHIP
True happiness consists not in the multitude of friends, but in their worth and choice. -- Samuel Johnson

It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

MISC.
Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense. -- Gertrude Stein

Nothing every seems interesting when it belongs to you -- only when it doesn't. -- Natalie Babbitt

It is a curious thing that people only ask if you are enjoying  yourself when you aren't. -- E. Nesbit

No comments: